Juho Kim is an Associate Professor in the School of Computing at KAIST, and directs KIXLAB (the KAIST Interaction Lab). He is also affiliated faculty in the Kim Jaechul Graduate School of AI at KAIST. His research in human-computer interaction focuses on building interactive systems that support interaction at scale: crowdsourcing and human computation, online education and learning at scale, civic engagement and collective action, and interactive data analytics and mining. He creates interactive and collaborative technology that empowers conventionally passive populations—students receiving instruction and citizens influenced by social issues—to be active and self-directed participants who initiate deeper learning and collective action. He often takes an interdisciplinary approach to his research, by connecting computer science with learning sciences and social sciences, and aims to deploy interactive systems to real users.
He earned his Ph.D. from MIT, M.S. from Stanford University, and B.S. from Seoul National University. In 2015-2016, he was a Visiting Assistant Professor and a Brown Fellow at Stanford University. He is a recipient of KAIST’s Songam Distinguished Research Award, Grand Prize for Creative Teaching, and Excellence in Teaching Award, as well as 14 paper awards from ACM CHI, ACM CSCW, ACM Learning at Scale, ACM IUI, ACM DIS, and AAAI HCOMP.
If you're interested in working with me at KAIST, please read this page. Also, in this interview video for HCI Korea, I summarize KIXLAB's representative projects and share my thoughts on research and mentoring. English transcription is available.
Office hours: by appointment
N1 Room 605, KAIST
291 Daehak-ro, Yuseong-gu
Daejeon, Korea 34141
- 2022.12.09: Stanford Seminar on People, Comptuers and Design. Invited Speaker.
- 2022.12.05: MIT CSAIL HCI Seminar. Invited Speaker.
- 2022.11.30: NeurIPS 2022. Keynote Speaker.
- 2022.11.25: LG AI Research. Invited Speaker.
- 2022.11.18: Minnesota NLP Seminar. Invited Speaker.
- 2022.11.07: University of Michigan Interactive and Social Computing (MISC). Invited Speaker.
- 2022.11.02: SNU Data Science Seminar. Invited Speaker.
- 2022.10.21: UC Irvine Informatics. Invited Speaker: "Interaction-Centric AI: Designing Useful and Usable AI Applications"
- 2022.04.28: Interaction-Centric AI, Upstage Insight Talk. Speaker.
- 2022.04.28: Designing AI-Powered Interactive Systems: Towards Interaction-Centric AI, CS Colloquium Seminar @ UC Davis. Speaker.
- 2022.03.28: Designing at Scale with Human-AI Collaboration, The Academic Fringe Festival @ TU Delft. Speaker.
- 2022.02.25: Rising Stars 2022 Workshop. Speaker: "How to Give a Successful Job Talk".
- 2022.01.14: An Age of Upheaval Conference @ SKKU. Discussant.
- 2021.11.14-18: HCOMP 2021. Keynote speaker & WiP author.
- November 8 2022 I'm looking for undergrad research interns for the winter.
- Sep 29 2022 MS admissions info for spring 2023.
- August 31 2022 I'm looking for undergrad research interns for the fall.
- April 24 2022 I'm looking for undergrad research interns for the summer.
- April 24 2022 More recently accepted workhsop papers: ACL Workshop paper on children's story rewriting, CHI 2022 Workshop paper on video UI with informational units, and CHI 2022 Workshop paper on search and comparison for surgery videos.
- April 6 2022 Our papers are recognized by one Best Paper Award and one Honorable Mention Award at CHI 2022!
- Mar 23 2022 Our paper "RLens: A Computer-aided Visualization System for Supporting Reflection on Language Learning under Distributed Tutorship" is accepted to Learning at Scale 2022.
- Mar 11 2022 Our paper "ReviewAid: A Scaffolded Approach to Supporting Readers’ Evaluation of Health News" is accepted to ICLS 2022.
- Feb 25 2022 Starting today, I am spending my sabbatical year at Ringle, an edtech company focused on online language learning. I will be in the Bay Area until Feb 2023.
- Feb 16 2022 Our paper "CatchLive: Real-time Summarization of Live Streams with Stream Content and Interaction Data" is accepted to CHI 2022 after R&R. A total of seven KIXLAB papers will be presented at CHI 2022!
- Jan 14 2022 Our paper "Capturing Diverse and Precise Reactions to a Comment with User-Generated Labels" is accepted to TheWebConf 2022.
- Jan 13 2022 Our research collaboration with Grinder on developing techniques for social video intneraction is featured on the media.
- Subcommittee Co-Chair: CHI 2022-2023
- Program Committee: CHI 2018-2019 & 2021, AAAI 2021 (SPC), CSCW 2017-2019, Learning at Scale 2015-2020, TheWebConf 2022, SIGCSE 2022, HCOMP 2016 & 2020, Creativity & Cognition 2019, Collective Intelligence 2019, UIST 2017, CHI 2015 WIP
- Demos Co-Chair: CSCW 2022
- Late-Breaking Work Co-Chair: CHI 2021
- Editor: UX of AI Forum, ACM Interactions Magazine. 2019-current
- Associate Editor: IEEE TLT. 2020-current
- Member: SIGCHI Asian Development Committee. 2019-current
- Member: SIGCHI Nomination Committee. 2020
- Vice President: SIGCHI Korea Chapter. 2019-current
- Vice President: HCI Society of Korea. 2019
- Papers Co-Chair: CSCW 2020
- Best Papers Co-Chair: CSCW 2019
- Social Media Co-Chair: CHI 2020
- Publicity Co-Chair: ISS 2019
- Best Paper Committee: CHI 2018, CSCW 2018
- Doctoral Consortium Co-Chair: HCI Korea 2018-2019
- Demo Co-Chair: UIST 2017-2018
- Poster Co-Chair: UIST 2015-2016
- Workshop Organizer: Crowdsourcing Law and Policy (CSCW 2017), Connecting Collaborative & Crowd Work with Online Education (CSCW 2015), CrowdCamp (HCOMP 2013-2014)
- Webmaster: CHI 2015
- Scheduling + Communitysourcing: CHI 2013-2015, CSCW 2014-2015
- Fall 2021 [CS473] Introduction to Social Computing
- Fall 2021 [CoE491] AI for Smart Life
- Spring 2021 [CS492E] Human-AI Interaction
- Spring 2021 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Fall 2020 [CS473] Introduction to Social Computing
- Fall 2020 [CS492F] Human-AI Interaction
- Spring 2020 [CS492D] Introduction to Research
- Spring 2020 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Fall 2019 [CS473] Introduction to Social Computing
- Spring 2019 [CS492C] Introduction to Research
- Spring 2019 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Fall 2018 [CS473] Introduction to Social Computing
- Fall 2018 [CS492C] Introduction to Research
- Fall 2018 [CS408F] Computer Science Project
- Spring 2018 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Spring 2018 [CS408E] Computer Science Project
- Fall 2017 [CS492] Crowdsourcing and Social Computing
- Spring 2017 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Spring 2017 [CS966/986] SoC Colloquium
- Fall 2016 [CS492] Crowdsourcing
- Assistant professor in the School of Computing at KAIST
- Visiting assistant professor of Computer Science and Brown Fellow at Stanford University, working in the Brown Institute and the HCI Group
- Ph.D. in EECS from MIT. Worked in the UID Group @ CSAIL
- Research intern at Microsoft Research
- Research intern at edX Learning Sciences
- Research intern at Abobe's Creative Technologies Lab
- Research intern @ USER Group at the IBM Almaden Research Center
- M.S. in Computer Science from Stanford University. Worked in the HCI Group
- Product manager / embedded software engineer at SystemBase in Seoul, Korea
- B.S. in Computer Science and Engineering from Seoul National University