In 2015-2016, I'm a visiting assistant professor and a Brown Fellow at Stanford University, working with Maneesh Agrawala. I recently finished my Ph.D. in EECS at MIT, working in the User Interface Design Group in CSAIL, advised by Rob Miller and Krzysztof Gajos. During gradschool, I was supported by the Samsung Scholarship.
As a Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) researcher, I build interactive systems powered by large-scale data from users. My Ph.D. thesis introduces learnersourcing, in which learners collectively generate novel content and interfaces for future learners while engaging in a meaningful learning experience themselves. Learnersourcing uniquely combines crowdsourcing, social computing, content-based video analysis techniques, and learning science. My research demonstrates that interfaces powered by learnersourcing can enhance content navigation, create a sense of learning with others, and ultimately improve learning.
If you're interested in working with me at KAIST, please email me.
- Apr 26 2016 AXIS paper wins an honorable mention award at Learning at Scale 2016
- Mar 21-23 2016 Presented Organic Crowdsourcing Systems at AAAI 2016 Spring Symposium: Intelligent systems for supporting distributed human teamwork.
- Feb 29-Mar 2 2016 At CSCW 2016. Nam Wook Kim presented our paper BudgetMap: Engaging Taxpayers in the Issue-Driven Classification of a Government Budget
- Feb 9 2016 Our CHI 2016 note on revising learners' misconception wins an honorable mention award.
- Jan 28 2016 Talk on video interaction analysis in the Stanford Lytics seminar course (EDUC 407)
- Jan 27 2016 Talk on organic crowdsourcing systems in the Stanford Social Algorithms Lab
- Jan 15-17 2016 Organized the Brown Institute Base Camp as head facilitator
- Dec 18 2015 I'll serve on the CSCW 2017 PC, in the new Systems subcommittee
- Dec 14 2015 Conditionally accepted to CHI 2016: our note on revising learners' misconception
- Dec 14 2015 Conditionally accepted to Learning at Scale 2016: our paper, "AXIS: Generating Explanations at Scale with Learnersourcing and Machine Learning"
- Dec 10 2015 Learning at Scale 2016 PC Meeting in Mountain View, CA.
- Dec 1 2015 Talk on learnersourcing at CMU Crowdsourcing Seminar
- Nov 9-11 2015 UIST 2015, posters co-chair
- Oct 27 2015 Talk on learnersourcing at Berkeley Institute of Design
- Oct 1 2015 BudgetMap: Engaging Taxpayers in the Issue-Driven Classification of a Government Budget is accepted to CSCW 2016.
- Sep 11-12 2015 Brown Institute All-Hands Meeting at Columbia University
- Sep 2 2015 Talk on learnersourcing at Udemy
- Aug 18 2015 First day as visiting assistant professor at Stanford
- Aug 7 2015 Last day at MIT. Final thesis: Learnersourcing: Improving Learning with Collective Learner Activity
- Jul 30 2015 Thesis defense (slides)
- Jul 25 2015 Serving on the Program Committee of WWW 2016 and Learning at Scale 2016
- Jun 9 2015 Presenting a poster on learnersourcing at CAP Annual Meeting in CSAIL.
- Apr 24 2015 Presenting at Post-CHI Workshop @ KAIST
Apr 20 2015
CHI 2015 in Seoul, Korea:
1) [paper] RIMES: Embedding Interactive Multimedia Exercises in Lecture Videos,
2) [paper] Mudslide: A Spatially Anchored Census of Student Confusion for Online Lecture Videos,
3) [paper] Factful: Engaging Taxpayers in the Public Discussion of a Government Budget,
4) [paper] Apparition: Crowdsourced User Interfaces That Come To Life As You Sketch Them,
5) [Workshop] BudgetWiser: Gamification Design Opportunities in the Government Budget Domain,
6) [WIP] BudgetMap: Issue-Driven Navigation for a Government Budget.
- Mar 15 2015 CSCW 2015: Crowdy paper. Organizing & presenting at the Connecting Collaborative & Crowd Work with Online Education Workshop.
- Mar 1 2015 Three honorable mention awards at CHI 2015.
- Feb 16 2015 Crowdy and ToolScape on the media: Fast Company Design, BostInno, MIT News Office, CBC Radio.
- Jan 26 2015 Three Learning at Scale 2015 posters were accepted.
- Jan 7 2015 Teaching MIT's User Interface Design course in the spring semester with 200 students.
- Jan 7 2015 Program Committee for CHI 2015 Works-in-Progress.
- Dec 1 2014 Program Committee for Learning at Scale 2015. Attended the PC meeting in Mountain View, CA.
- Oct 31-Nov 4 2014 HCOMP 2014: co-organized CrowdCamp, attended the WorkLearn workshop, and Anant presented our attendee-sourcing paper.
- Oct 27 2014 Gave a talk in the Image and Video Computing group seminars at Boston University.
- Oct 23 2014 I'm co-organizing a workshop "Connecting Collaborative & Crowd Work with Online Education" at CSCW 2015.
- Oct 13 2014 I'll serve as the Posters Co-Chair for UIST 2015.
- Oct 6-8 2014 Presented two papers at UIST 2014 in Honolulu, HI: LectureScape & data-driven lecture video interaction and content-aware kinetic scrolling
- Sep 26 2014 Gave a talk about LectureScape at the HarvardX research colloquium.
- Aug 27 2014 Our "Learnersourcing Subgoal Labels for How-to Videos" paper is accepted to CSCW 2015. Check out Crowdy live!
- Aug 11 2014 LectureScape on the media: Forbes, eCampusNews, BostInno, MIT News Office
- Jun 24 2014 Two UIST 2014 papers on data-driven lecture video interface and content-aware kinetic scrolling got accepted.
- Jun 16 2014 Our HCOMP 2014 paper on attendeesourcing with Confer got accepted.
- May 23 2014 Interested in learning web programming? Try Crowdy, our collaborative video learning interface.
- May-Aug 2014 Summer internship at Microsoft Research. Will help teachers create more interactive lessons using Powerpoint with Office Mix.
- May 21 2014 Thesis proposed.
- Apr 30 2014 Sarah Weir won the 2nd place in the Student Research Competition at CHI 2014, with our project on learnersourcing subgoal labels for how-to videos.
- Apr 27-May 1 2014 Attended CHI 2014 in Toronto, Canada. Presented our paper "Crowdsourcing Step-by-Step Information Extraction to Enhance Existing How-to Videos" and a workshop paper "Leveraging Video Interaction Data and Content Analysis to Improve Video Learning" in the workshop on learning innovation at scale.
- Mar 4-5 2014 Presented "Understanding In-Video Dropouts and Interaction Peaks in Online Lecture Videos" at Learning at Scale 2014 in Atlanta, GA.
- Feb 26 2014 ToolScape website and video are live.
- Feb 10 2014 Two honorable mention awards for CHI 2014 papers.
- Jan 29 2014 A paper accepted to CHI 2014 Learning Innovation at Scale workshop.
- Jan 13-15 2014 Two posters presented at Quanta-MIT workshop in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Dec 2013 Gave six talks in Korea about learnersourcing (SNU, KAIST, Samsung, etc.).
- Dec 20 2013 Two papers accepted to Learning at Scale 2014.
- Dec 8 2013 Two papers accepted to CHI 2014.
- Nov 7 2013 Our paper on community clustering won a notable paper award at HCOMP 2013, in Palm Springs, CA.
- Nov 6 and 9 2013 I'm co-organizing CrowdCamp @ HCOMP 2013, in Palm Springs, CA.
- Oct 8 - Oct 11 2013 UIST 2013 in St. Andrews, UK, presenting Cobi: A Community-Informed Conference Scheduling Tool.
- Aug 23 2013 Mentored three student groups in 6.mitx, working on edX student activity visualization, edX grade visualization, and video annotation tool. (MIT News article)
- Jul 1 2013 Our paper Cobi: A Community-Informed Conference Scheduling Tool accepted to UIST 2013.
- Jun 28 - Jul 1 2013 Samsung Fellowship academic camp in Yosemite, CA. Presenting a poster.
- Jun 27 2013 SoCS Doctoral Symposium, Seattle, WA. | Poster (PDF).
- May 28 - Aug 30 2013 Summer internship in the learning sciences team at edX.
- May 2 2013 2nd place in Student Research Competition at CHI 2013 | Slides (PDF).
- Apr 27 - May 2 2013 CHI 2013 in Paris, France. Presenting 2 works-in-progress, 1 student research competition, 1 interactivity.
- Apr 23 2013 Introducing myCHI, a webapp for CHI attendees with paper bookmarking, social recommendations, and personalized schedule.
- Apr 10 2013 ToolScape talk in the graphics group in CSAIL.
- Mar 7 2013 ToolScape talk at edX.
- Feb 23 - Feb 27 2013 CSCW 2013 in San Antonio, Texas. Particpated in CrowdCamp.
- Assistant professor in the School of Computing at KAIST
- Visiting assistant professor of Computer Science and Brown Fellow at Stanford University, working in the Brown Institute and the HCI Group
- Ph.D. in EECS from MIT. Worked in the UID Group @ CSAIL
- Research intern at Microsoft Research
- Research intern at edX Learning Sciences
- Research intern at Abobe's Creative Technologies Lab
- Research intern @ USER Group at the IBM Almaden Research Center
- M.S. in Computer Science from Stanford University. Worked in the HCI Group
- Product manager / embedded software engineer at SystemBase in Seoul, Korea
- B.S. in Computer Science and Engineering from Seoul National University